Yes! Noise Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL) is completely preventable. All of us should understand the hazards of noise and how to practice good hearing health in our lives everyday.
To protect your hearing, remember these three words: Walk, Block and Turn:
– Walk away from loud sounds.
– Block noise by wearing earplugs or other hearing protective devices when involved in a loud activity (Peninsula Hearing Center is your go-to place for earplugs! Ask us.)
– Turn the sound down on portable music devices. Listening to an music device at maximum volume (usually around 105 decibels) for more than 15 minutes per day may cause a permanent hearing loss.
– Know which noises can cause damage (those at or above 85 decibels.)
– Be alert to hazardous noise in the environment.
– Protect the ears of children who are too young to protect their own.
– Make family, friends, and colleagues aware of the hazards of noise.
If you suspect hearing loss, call Peninsula Hearing Center for a hearing examination today.